|“||Good one Ellen.||”|
— Ellen's famous catchphrase
Outdoorsy free spirit with no kids
Ellen is portrayed by the actor Beth Littleford.
Life before Episode 1
Ellen was always lonely as a child. She didn't have any friends, she never got along with her sister and her parents were always working. Later in life she met an unknown man and they had Avery Jennings, but later Ellen and Avery's biological father got divorced for unknown reason. Much later around 2011 Ellen went on a dating website and this is where she met Bennett, She describes herself as "an outdoorsy free spirit with no kids," even though this is an obvious lie because she had Avery. Later on they got married even though the wedding was ruined due to Avry and Tyler trying to race to get the room, Avery knocked over some things and it became a huge mess. Many months later, Bennett got a dog even though during their marriage, when they saw a stray dog (who was actually Stan) wander inside licking cake off the floor. Bennett said that they would never get a dog.
Ellen Jennings is Avery's mother and Chloe's and Tyler's step-mother. She doesn't like dogs, but does like cats, and makes it known that she doesn't like Stan, but at the end of "The Parrot Trap", she and Stan get along. Her nickname is "Smellen" to other moms due to the medley of horrific odors in her car. One of Ellen's famous qoutes is saying "Good one, Ellen" after she says a witty joke. She can get hyper or very energetic as seen when she drank the "special energy drink" at the video game fair. She tries to get involved with Avery's hobbies/activities and sometimes even tries living through Avery. For example, she was obsessed with the idea of Avery becoming a cheerleader, getting the opportunity of fitting in and realizing what it was like to be popular and be a cheerleader after missing out from not making the team as a kid. She got excited when saying "good night" to one of the cheerleaders with her replying with "Good night Ells!" It is also mentioned that she is prone to suggestion. If a condition with side effects is described, she starts to "experience" those effects. Like if someone even mentions a sneeze all of a sudden she sneezes.
She is a bit of a coward and neurotic. She will freak out at the slightest of provocations and is afraid of ghosts. Her paranoia once led her to believe that there was a ghost in the house who wanted to get married to her because she looks like the ghosts' ex-fiancée. But she is very family-oriented and will take care of the kids when it is necessary. She is a bit strict when it comes to Tyler's goofing off and his rebelliousness. Most animals hate her for some odd reason and whenever she tries to be nice to an animal, the animal hurts her. She once came into the vet's office and there was a poster that said "Be nice to animals, or this will happen" with pictures of her being hurt by animals.
Relationships with other characters
Bennett James is Ellen's husband. While he is a child psychologist, Ellen thinks he got his degree on the internet, and thinks he got it by lying, because his "Techniques" are more like lies. She always tries to attempt reading her husband's book(s), but she never understands them or can't see how any of his techniques are helpful or necessary.When Bennett and Ellen moved into the same house, it seemed as if their family traditions will both be expressed, but some went, but they managed to keep the peace. While at sometimes they disagree in some situations, they always know how to end it right. Bennett has revealed that he and Ellen speak with one voice, which is usually hers. They had met once before they got married, but could not recognize eachother due to the fact that they had different appearances. While Bennett was teaching Tyler to drive, Ellen was carrying Avery in a stroller. Stan eventually rips up a photograph of them in the park from the past.
Avery Jennings is Ellen's daughter. While you might think Ellen and Avery are alike, it doesn't seem so. While Ellen loves ponchos, pineapple, badmitten, and writing notes on grains of rice, Avery doesn't like those kind of things. Avery doesn't like the Jennings Christmas present tradition, without writing a list, while Ellen loves it so it could be a surpise. It is also revealed in Avery's First Breakup that Avery has never asked Ellen for anything (But she may have just been exagerrating). But even so if they aren't very alike to each other, they always love each other.
Ellen's step-son, Bennett James biological son who she doesn't relate to at all, can be a real handful to her, but she tries to help him do his best, while highlighting his weak points. Like the rest of the family, she is afraid of Tyler's driving. She often scolds him when he does stupid things.
Ellen's step-daughter, Bennett's biological daughter Chloe can be over the top! In the first episode, she ignores Chloe's claim that "Stan can talk!", but tries to savor her cuteness in The Fast and the Furriest. She was also against Chloe getting earrings. Ellen and Bennett often accidently leave her at some random place. She always takes care of Chloe's wild hair and though about getting it cut short because it would be easier to take care of.
Ellen doesn't really like Stan because she is a cat person. She is the only person in the house who doesn't like him. She even tries to make him a outside dog in The Parrot Trap. Even though they don't really like each other they sometimes get along. In Howloween, Stan learned from Ellen that she had a dog she loved very much when she was a young girl, but was crushed when the dog ran away. Her disdain towards dogs was because she didn't want to get close to another and re-experience that pain. So Stan thereafter made more effort to be nicer to Ellen, much to her joy.
- She's a cat person.
- She doesn't like Stan. (Formally)
- She used to wear long, different colored wigs for an unknown reason. Avery though she looked like a mannequin so she stopped wearing them.
- In Dog with a Hog, Ellen was given the nickname "Smellen" by other neighborhood moms, because her old car smelled horrible.
- In World of Woofcraft it is revealed she threw a tantrum to get earrings.
- Sometimes she likes Stan.
- She read Avery's diary, and her decoy diary in Avery's First Crush but only to find out why Avery was acting so weird.
- Ellen is a hypochondriac.
- Nobody knows Ellen's last husband before Bennett (exept for Avery and Ellen, Obviously even though he literally is NEVER mentioned at all).
- Ellen gives bad gifts.
- She Annouced to Stan (dressed as a guy in a robot costume) during their Halloween party why she did not like dogs, however when Stan told if she got use to Stan she will seem to know not every dog is same what she had when she was younger and since then she seemed to like Stan.
- She and Bennett saw Stan talking for the first time in "Howloween:The Final Reckoning", however Tyler and Avery pass it off as a trick, and she and Bennett believed it because he and her are a bit gullible.
- No animal likes Ellen, as seen in the episode. "Stan makes his mark".
- She is known as "Donkey Laugh Lady" on the internet.
- "That's why I started scrapbooking"
- "Will you stop walking so I can throw you on the floor?"
- "I'm sorry you've hated all the gifts I've given you."
- "Kids! Get down here or I'm gonna give all the eggs to the dog!"
- "Now a dog has wandered into the house? I hate dogs as much as frogs!"
- "It could fall in love with me."
- "What is wrong with you?"
- "Is that so hard to believe?"
- "Bennett, we are not getting another dog!"
- "That was not a good one Ellen."
- "I hate dogs."
| To view the Ellen Jennings gallery, click here.
|Dog with a Blog Characters|
|Stan | Avery Jennings | Tyler James | Chloe James | Bennett James | Ellen Jennings|
|Nikki Ortiz | Karl Fink | Lindsay | The Hawk | Max | Wes|
|Bearded Lady | Big Murry | Brie | Christy | Director | Dustin Pitt | Evita | Phil Trummer | Glenn | Gorilla Gram | Judge | Kevin | Lucy | Maddie | Mandy | Masseuse | Monty Cathcart | Mr. Beeds | Nicholas | Nora James | Owners | Paula | Rebecca Davis | Remy | Ron | Sabrina | Security Guard | Tiff | Trish | Sigourney | Sparky|